Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Saturday Morning Service Excursion

Why a Customer Service blog in DC you ask? Well, to set the record straight really. There seems to be an urban rumor that customer service is at an all time low in our nation's capital. So let's test that theory out. I'm not a professional shopper nor do I work in the service industry. I'm just an average city dweller, who ventures into the extended region for work. I make regular types of purchases,... morning coffee, grocery shopping, sometime retail therapy excursions, convenience items,... just the regular stuff.

My service philosophy? We're all trying to make a living. Those of us working in retail are neighbors and colleagues, doing business with neighbors and colleagues. So what propels some establishments to soar in the retail 'experience' and others to plummet? I'm not certain, but thought I would find out and share my findings.

Here is my very first documented Service Odyssey.

A coffee and breakfast sandwich at the local Starbucks on 14th Street NW. The line was a bit deep but the team behind the counter keeps it moving. They greet me and take my order for a Grande Skim Latte even though I was 5 deep in line. The manager hustles behind the counter, helping to expedite orders. I'm acknowledged by name, given the last remaining legal drug in the country (gotta love caffeine) read the paper at a clean table and off I go. Thanks Team Starbucks for a good start to the day.

A- for the Starbuck's Team

Next up, light bulbs needed. I head over to my favorite local hardware store, Logan Hardware. The Logan Hardware Team just gets it right! I'm greeted within 10 steps of walking inside the store. I remember that I need a light for my cave-like closet. The associate directs me up stairs and radios ahead to let an associate know I'm on my way up stairs for a battery operated closet light. I'm taken directly to the closet lights and the associate stays to answer some questions. An expeditious check out where I was again greeted and had a pleasant conversation with the associate helping me to check out. A "have a good day" and I'm on my way.

A+ for the Logan Hardware Team.

Now it's on to the paragon of Customer Service,... Nordstrom at Pentagon City Mall. If you aren't familiar with the quintessential customer service story, the Nordstrom Tire Return story, it's worth a read. (Note, there is some debate about the exact details, but I'm not here to debate that, it's a good example of the 'customer is always right' philosophy). Today would be a bit of a different experience since I wasn't shopping but returning shoes.

The dog-eat-dog shoe department always seems to be an interesting area of any department store,... those sales associates HUSTLE. They are moving fast and generally, it seems, ringing their own customers. So I was delighted when a sales associate greeted me right away and quickly observed that while no sale was at hand expedited my return without a receipt and credited my card. Nordstrom has that nice feature where bar code stickers on the item are all the proof of purchase needed. He thanked me, by name no less (!), and I was on my way. They even gave me a parking validation ticket. Thanks Nordstrom.

A for the Nordstrom Team

Given my day, you might think that DC is a town built on great customer experiences. Alas, one last stop on my way home ruins that thought. My less than stellar customer service experience occured at Blockbuster on 17th and P Street NW. I wanted to hand my rentals directly to an associate so that any charges would be removed from my credit card. I stood 3rd in line while 2 BB associates chatted behind the counter, not helping a SINGLE CUSTOMER! Grrrr. This is my biggest pet peeve ever. One associate talked with her friend, chomoping on Wheat Thins while we stood there. Finally, each customer was gradually assisted. The other associate was doing something else but never greeted or acknowledged any of us. Finally, my turn! The only reason I knew I was next was due to the associate yelling out NEXT!. Determined not to let this woman ruin my day I headed to her register with a smile and said "I'm 'Next'. Hi, how are you?". No answer. I explained that I wanted to make sure the movies were credited to my account. Again no acknowledgement. Then she held open one of the movies I was returning and pointed to it. Now I'm confused. "You forgot Part 2" was all she said. I took the rental home with me, so I can repeat this 'nails on the chalkboard-esque' annoying experience again tomorrow.

I thought about commenting on the associates service directly to her but instead opted for the 'show kindness' and kindness will be returned approach. Well that was a ridiculous pollyanna thought. Oh well. Blockbuster at 17th and P Street NW, wake up. Greet people, acknowledge those standing in line at a bare minimum. Come on!

D for the Blockbuster Team

Well those were the major customer 'experiences' for today's Service Odyssey. I'm on a quest for pleasant more enjoyable DC service experiences. Thanks to neighbors and colleagues who made it a good experience day.

No comments: